- Open Access: the Library values free, open, unrestricted access to its collection and services.
- People Focus: the Library values all library users and recognizes that they have human concerns that go beyond their need for access to information or reading materials.
- Excellence: the Library values excellence by expecting integrity and competence, positive attitudes, respect for the diversity of people and perspectives in order to earn the trust and confidence of all library users.
- Lifelong Learning: the Library values the stimulation of ideas and the advancement of knowledge in the pursuit of excellence.
- Responsible Stewardship: the Library values the proper use of public funds and the efficient use of staff time and talent, maximizing all our resources in order to deliver quality library service.
Our Vision is to be a destination, The Place which creates community and elevates the quality and spirit of life for the people we serve.
Our Mission is to provide excellent library services to the people of the community through a professional staff, a quality facility and first-class materials and programs.
Focus Area – Facility
Advance planned improvements to the Silver Lake Library physical plant by:
- Organizing fundraising campaigns
- Seeking grant opportunities
- Collaborating with the Library Foundation
Rationale: Everyone who completed the fall 2018 survey said the Library should continue with the Expansion and Renovation Project
Focus Area – Library Resources
Enhance services and programs to meet the needs of the community by:
- Developing a series of enrichment programs for adults
- Providing year-long online reading program activities for all ages
- Increasing the number of family-oriented programs throughout the year
Rationale: Participants in the fall 2018 survey and focus groups indicated a need for more adult informational and educational programs, especially those of interest to men of the community. Also of importance was the need to continue and increase the number of family programs.
Focus Area – Communication
Improve methods for promotion and publicity by:
- Utilizing options for email newsletter and program alerts
- Using multiple social media platforms
- Establishing community partnerships
Rationale: Lack of communication was the underlying issue when discussing needed improvements
Focus Area – Evaluation
Assure consistent monitoring of Library Services 2019 through 2021
- Provide sufficient continuing education opportunities for board and staff
- Expect regular staff performance evaluations
- Begin process of planning for years 2022-2024 by May 2021
A PDF document may be found here.