- Open Access: the Library values free, open, unrestricted access to its collection and services.
- People Focus: the Library values all library users and recognizes that they have human concerns that go beyond their need for access to information or reading materials.
- Excellence: the Library values excellence by expecting integrity and competence, positive attitudes, respect for the diversity of people and perspectives in order to earn the trust and confidence of all library users.
- Lifelong Learning: the Library values the stimulation of ideas and the advancement of knowledge in the pursuit of excellence.
- Responsible Stewardship: the Library values the proper use of public funds and the efficient use of staff time and talent, maximizing all our resources in order to deliver quality library service.
Our Vision is to be a destination, The Place which creates community and elevates the quality and spirit of life for the people we serve.
Our Mission is to provide excellent library services to the people of the community through a professional staff, a quality facility and first-class materials and programs.
Develop community support for improving the Silver Lake Library facility.
1. Launch “Geek the Library” campaign by January 31, 2012
- Determine venue with opportunity for maximum public participation
- Use a variety of methods to promote the campaign
2. Create a Library Building Committee by January 31, 2012
- Board defines role and gives authority to the committee
- Recruit committee members from library board, staff and community
Enhance library services to meet the needs of the people of Silver Lake and surrounding area.
1. Achieve Accreditation through the Northeast Kansas Library System by December 31, 2013
- Review standards and determine appropriate level of accreditation
- Budget to achieve the level of accreditation established
2. Increase circulation of library materials 20% by December 31, 2014
- Put in place an aggressive collection development plan to include emerging formats
- Explore alternative methods for getting materials to people in the service area
3. Increase the number of library programs 10% by December 31, 2014
- Offer at least one entertainment program of adult interest monthly
- Offer at least one educational program of adult interest monthly
4. Assure consistent evaluation of library services through December 31, 2014
- Provide sufficient continuing education opportunities for board and staff
- Expect regular staff performance evaluations
- Schedule board meeting time to review and assess progress of 2012-2014 Strategic Plan including the Technology Plan
- Begin process of planning for years 2015-2017 by May 31, 2014